Backcountry Hunter Course, Central Cascades, WA:Part 1
Backcountry Hunter Course, Central Cascades, WA:Part 2
The two-day Precision Hunter portion of the course will cover the following topics:
- Rifle Set-Up and Accessories
- Telescopic Sight Theory and Operation.
- Basic Angular Units of Measure (Minutes of Angle and Milradians).
- Basic External Ballistics and Ballistic Solvers.
- Understanding Ballistic Drop Compensated Turrets and Reticles.
- Reading Atmospheric Conditions and Wind.
- Unconventional and Field Shooting Positions.
- Establishing Ranges to Targets.
- Terminal Ballistics and Bullet Composition.
- How to know your limitations.
The three-day backcountry adventure portion of the course will cover:
- Personal Equipment and Clothing.
- Pack Selection, Fit, Loading and Wear.
- Weapon and Optic Selection and Carriage.
- Nutrition and Hydration.
- Basic Land Navigation.
- Live-Fire Field Shooting Scenarios.
- Proper Hiking Techniques.
- Techniques of Observation and Game Detection.
- Pre-Season Scouting.
- Camp Site Selection.
- Fire Starting.
- Backcountry First Aid.
- Emergency Situations and how to handle them.
- Butchering/Meat Cooling/Packing.
- A hunting rifle in safe working condition with a functioning mechanical safety.
- 200 Rounds of your hunting ammunition. (See the ammunition and reloading policy pagefor details.)
- A rifle scope that is mounted to the rifle with quality equipment.
- Instructions on the optics’ reticle and mechanics are beneficial, as well as the proper tools associated with adjusting your optic.
- Bipod (Preferably with the ability to adjust and lock the left/right cant of the rifle.)
- Rear shooting support, also known as a “rear bag”.
- A rifle sling with the ability to mount the sling to the rifle.
- Backpack, or bag to carry your range equipment.
- Note taking material, to include fine-point colored Sharpie permanent markers.
- Appropriate clothing for the weather. We will shoot in any and all weather conditions.
- Hydrating device along with plenty of water.
- Lunch for all training days.